Wednesday, February 15, 2012

About Communication

I hope to learn how to apply the grammar I have learned thus far in order to produce something that says complex and unique things separate from that which we've learned how to say explicitly in class.  I'd also like to use this as an opportunity to practice becoming more familiar with pronunciation and sentence structures so that I can speak with less pauses and overall less awkwardly.  Additionally, because we are filming it as a podcast, I think it would be interesting to work on a film project from beginning to end until it's polished and actually on Youtube.  I did some video editing in middle school for class projects, but I'm much more computer savvy now (hopefully). 

Good communication in a group involves discussing and planning things among group members so that everyone knows what has to get done and what they have to do.  It also involves having a setting where people are comfortable to share ideas with each other, because the environment is conducive to different people sharing their ideas.  Good communication within the podcast itself means speaking clearly and with appropriate volume and speed.  Additionally, for a podcast it means minimizing background noise so that it is easy to hear the words that people are saying.  Good communication also involves body language and dialogue that responds and builds off of previous dialogue, rather than solely a collection of discordant sentences.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm also looking forward to practicing my speaking skills for this podcast project! My goal is to hopefully become an overall better speaker through the opportunities for speaking that the podcast will most definitely provide.

    I agree with what you said about good communication in a group setting. It is very important for there to be communication or else the group will not be able to function properly, which can then potentially prove disruptive for the completion and success of the assignment itself. However, just as group communication can at times be challenging, it can also have the potential to be immensely enjoyable and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin, I am excited to work on this project together! I am glad we have similar goals; I also want to practice my sentences and speaking so that I don't sound quite so awkward when I speak Japanese (this is really hard for me). Perhaps we can work on editing together if that's something you're interested in doing!

    I liked how you talked about communication within different sets of people (i.e. a group, to the podcast viewers, to another person), because it is true that different scenarios require different kinds of communication. (It was good to see that you care about good group communication, because that is very important and it's good to know that want to communicate effectively.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I also believe that this project will definitely be worthwhile as a way of improving our Japanese speaking skill. It will help us learn how to communicate, and discover new ways of being able to effectively do so. I also agree with you that the environment is important to communication because the audience must be able to clearly understand what the speaker is saying and the message that derives from it.

    ReplyDelete